• question-icon

What causes pain in the ribs?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Lump
Question: Hello: I was leaning over a rail and I heard a swish just below my left side rib cage. The next day it was hard to get out of bed. The pain seems to subside if I stay relatively inactive. Now three weeks later I am starting to hear a gurgling sound in the same area which in 60 years I have never heard before. The pain is definitely just below my rib cage.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X-ray and CT scan of abdomen and other tests as needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Gurgling sound most probably indicate the intestinal involvement in some or the other ways.
The problem started with swish just below the left rib cage on leaning over the rail and was hard to get out of bed and after three weeks there is gurgling in the same area.
There is a possibility of intestinal obstruction, most probably in the area of splenic flexure part of the colon.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
X-ray of the abdomen in standing position, may show the air bubble and to be confirmed or ruled out by a Contrast enhanced CT scan of the abdomen. If this gives the diagnosis you may need a colonoscopy and further investigations.
If this is caused by fecolith impaction, saline-soap enema and laxatives should solve your problem.
Consult a Genera Surgeon for clinical evaluation, investigations and investigations to get the correct diagnosis as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your query and helps in early diagnosis and a proper plan of management.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon