What causes pain in the ribs while on Isosorbide and Aspirin?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 10 Jun 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: When i press into my mothers left back, just below the last rib, she says she feels pain. Lately she has been itching, no apparent reason, and very weak and tired. She has been napping alot. Goes to bed at 7 and doesnt get up til 9 am back in bedat 1230 and stays in bed until 5. Back in bed at 7. She is 86 years old and takes isosorbide d 30 mg 3 x a day and synthriod 50 mcg. She also takes an 81 mg aspirin, garlic oil, vitamin e(200iu) salmon oil daily. We cannot g et into a dr until may 30. Should i take her to er for possible pancreas trouble?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Below the rib cage in the back, on the sides, may be the kidneys. In the elderly, sometimes urinary tract infections can present atypically i.e. without bladder symptoms, and it's possible there is an infection, possibly in the kidney. I cannot say for sure this is the organ in question that she is having pain in without being able to see her, but it is a consideration, and yes, please do take her in promptly. In the ER or urgent care, they should get a urine specimen to look for possible infection (or even stones, which might show up on an X-ray) and a CBC to look for signs of generalized infection.

I see that she is taking Synthroid, and if she hasn't had her TSH checked in the past couple of months, that should be checked too, as hypothyroidism can cause a great deal of fatigue.

Thyroid disease, which she has, can also cause itching. But so can any medication and supplement. If the itching is generalized, consider discontinuing the supplements, particularly the garlic oil and salmon oil. At least for now. Continue the aspirin.

If the itching is in the area where her pain is, rather than generalized, I would suspect that Shingles may be about to erupt. In that case, an antiviral medication is best started at first signs of it.

So yes - do take her in to urgent care or ER where they can examine her and do tests. And if they try to pass a PA or NP off on you, please request specifically that you want a physician as her problems take a higher level of diagnostic knowledge.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I hope your mom is doing better.

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome. I hope you and your mother have been able to go in to get the pain and excessive fatigue sorted out. For the itching, if it hasn't resolved, consider an antihistamine such as Zyrtec (generic ceterizine) although this can cause increased somnolence too.