What causes pain in the ribs when diagnosed with anemia?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi-
I was kayaking in Hawaii about three weeks ago and at one point, while trying to get out of the kayak and pull myself up to a landing spot, slipped hitting the left side of my ribcage with my full body weight (there was nothing to grab onto). in any event, I recently went to my doctor and she told me I had slight anemia, but did not feel it could be due to the fall. Do you think I could have done something to my spleen. At the current time, I have a bit of pain on the left side, just under the rib cage. Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spleen seems less likely as the source of anemia- some other tests needed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Trauma in the left side of the body does put the spleen at risk of rupture and major bleeding due to it. In this case a patient would continue with huge pain in the area and feel very weak due to quick anemia.
Because your pain is getting less than it is very likely you are not having anymore bleeding that is irritating the area there. The pain after trauma might last for weeks till all the tissues heal well.

I would say that because the trauma was 3 weeks ago, whatever trauma happened to the spleen it is healing and is not affecting you anymore. The anemia you have had seems less likely due to spleen being hurt and it is important to rule out other causes of anemia that might continue to affect you.
The most important areas of bleeding to be ruled out is the bowel and urine so a urinalysis and colonoscopy and also fecal occult blood tests (3 times) need to be done to rule out bleeding in these compartments of the body.

If the tests all come well than you don't need to worry but just take the treatment your doctor will prescribe for anemia and follow his/her instructions.

I hope this helps and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad