• question-icon

What causes pain in the ribs radiating to the back?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: Pain on right side below rib cage radiating to back. Started about 10 months ago but has become more intense and more frequent. Had a colonoscopy, cat scan, ultra sound
Which showed small stone in each kidney, stones in prostate, and small aneurism in abdominal aorta. Gall bladder removed in February, pain seems to be worse since that surgery. All the doctors cannot give any answers.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis can be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted all the history that you have provided and understood the concerns.
I would think of costochondritis a the commonest cause of pain on one side below rib cage that radiates to the back, not relieved by gall bladder surgery and most probably not related to any stones that you have mentioned.
Some spinal problem like nerve entrapment that can cause similar pains.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Please give a few more details after you self-test: Press on the area under consideration and see if the pain increases or reduces?
Cough hard and see if the pain increases?
Local tenderness? (on pressure)?
Any local swelling that you can palpate?
Any other information that can add to my information to assist you the best.
Discussion and confirmation with your Doctor and MRI of the thoracic spine if required - on thinking of spinal involvement causing such a pain.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
No to all of the above questions. Pain is below the belly button on right side radiating to right side of back. Only way I get relief is to lay down about 20 minutes.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably neuralgia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Colonoscopy Ultrasound and CT scan are normal.
Pain below the belly button on right side radiating to the back, relieved by laying down for 20 minutes is indicative of the following:
Nerve entrapment, nerve root compression, prolapsed vertebral disc - causing such a pain.
Post-herpetic/Shingles neuralgia.
I would advise you to discuss this with your Doctor.
Get an MRI of the thorax spine to get a possible cause and further management as needed.
Trial with medications for neuralgia may help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 12 hours later
Self test - no to all questions. Pain is below the belly button on right side radiating to back on right side. Intense pain is mostly in the back. Having trouble with constipation. One one occasion pain was so intense became nauseated and had dry heaves, after laying down for about half hour pain subsided. Would it be safe to take Metamucil to help with constipation? We are leaving tomorrow for a cruise in Great Britain!! I might add some days there is no pain.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can take Metamucil for constipation.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon