• question-icon

What causes pain in the ribs after an accident?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 66 years old, male, I slipped and fell in my hotel room this morning and hit my rib cage on the edge of the tub. My side is sore. I am out of town and I have a two day car trip back home. Should I out hot or cold compresses on my rib cage? Any other counsel regarding my situation?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply ice and local analgesic cream together with painkillers

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

Apply Ice localy at the area that it is sore. Do it 3-4 times during the day for 15-20 min. Use a towel -not directly to the skin.

Also, if you do not have contraindications, I would recommend to better use Ibuprofen 400mg every 6 hours, instead of Tylonol, because it reduces the inflammation and not only the pain.
You can also use an over the counter analgesic cream localy, which will help more with the pain.

Try bed red as much as possible.

If you start having cough or shortness of breath, I would recommend going to the ER as soon as possible, because that would mean a problem with the lungs, which is a complication when ribs are injured and expecially when there is a fractured rib.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr.Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Klarida Papaqako