What causes pain in the rear neck skin without presence of the rashes?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have skin pain in the rear neck area, but there is no external sign such as a rash. I take no medication and am otherwise healthy. It comes and goes. I am a 70 year old male Caucasian.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be nerve pain but close check should be kept for any developing rash

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history you have shared, though in absent of any rash at this moment rules out any possibility of skin infection however, some underlying skin infection like herpes mat start with burning before any onset of obvious skin signs or vesicles or rash so close check should be kept on it.

Possibility of muscular spasm or subcutaneous infection also does exist but in absence of obvious swelling it is less likely. Sometimes occiptal headaches may also present like this and may respond to OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen.

Topical Capsiacin or any coolant like Derm Save or Menthol lotions may help to reduce pain sensations.

Close monitoring of the area should be continued for coming two to three days for any ongoing symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.
Take care,
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T