What causes pain in the perineal area after a normal vaginal delivery?

Posted on Sat, 7 Jun 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor, The postpartum trouble continues. I had followed up with you on many occasions earlier for many of my conditions. In the latest situation I have lot of pain around my urethra/labia from last five days and it also pains a lot while I urinate. the pain is more in the evenings and draws down to my legs.I would also like to add that I had boils earlier at places of my stitches that appear to be healing by now. I delivered the baby normally on 13th April

Do you see this pain as normal pain that would go away or are these symptoms of some infection. If so any tests that you would suggest to rule out any further complications. I am perfectly okay to take a few tests(blood, urine) or sonography if that can assure me that everything is okay.

Thanks
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
AS BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
How are you now ?
I remember the earlier discussions we had.
Hope the axillary swelling is fine now.
Also, mild pain in the perineal area and a feeling of tightness is common for 6 weeks after a normal vaginal delivery.
If you can upload pictures of the area where there is pain, then I can tell you if there is any infection.
You should take a urine test - urine microscopy, routine examination and urine culture, that will rule out any urinary infection.
As such, after clearing of the boils, mild residual inflammation maybe present.
A pelvic ultrasound scan also should be done 6 weeks after childbirth.
There is no need for any blood test right now.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN