What causes pain in the oesophagus after treating shingles?

Posted on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Good morning. I recently had the shingles virus and was treated with Valtrex. For the last 24 hours I have been experiencing extreme discomfort and pain in my esophagus when eating, frequent spasms that feel like tightening. Could this be related to the shingles?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly related to shingles

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your question in detail.

Yes, you possibly seem to have odynophagia which can be attributed to shingles.

But nevertheless it's important to get an upper GIT endoscopy to determine further course of action.

A short course of analgesics and calcium channel blockers can help to improve your symptoms.

I generally prescribe oral pills of Diclofenac , PANTOPRAZOLE and Nifedepine for 2 weeks.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these pills to you.

Further management if any is based upon test results.
Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu