What causes pain in the middle of the chest while coughing?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband is having severe pain in the middle of his chest when he coughs. He says it feels like razor blades. He originally thought he may have inhaled some smoke from cooking the turkey on the smoker on Thursday. He has slight congestion in his head. Chills running down his back and the backs of his legs and his shoulders. Should we go to a clinic or does this sound viral?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait and monitor his situation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM.

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history it seems to me to be a viral condition.

Usually it lasts for several days (3-5 days).

He can safely use painkillers twice per day orally. And if viral he will return better day after day.

If the pain does not change or gets worse than it would be better to consult his doctor for better further examinations or tests of needed (like chest x Ray and ECG)

If he were my patient i would recommend the above to him.

I hope to have been helpful

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. Would you recommend musinex or anything like that to help break up the cough?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Usually we don't recommend to stop the cough reflex as it is a protectiv reflex of the lungs due to small particles that came from the environment or from infection.

Mucinex as a.mucolitic can be used safely.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 23 minutes later
Thank you for the response. He has very little appetite, but he ate a little bit of soup and toast.

We just took his temperature. It is 102.8. I am having him drink water and hot herbal tea.

What do you recommend for his temperature?
What do we do if his temperature gets higher?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You can use paracetamol every 4-6 hours if needed.

Dr.Jolanda