question-icon

What causes pain in the lower right rib that radiates around the waist and esophagus area?

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018
Question: My Dr diagnosed pluresy pain in my back rib, particularly lower right rib. It radiates around the front of my waist at times, especially in my esophogas area. I have a lot of issues with inflammation as well. She prescribed an antibiotic and it did away with some congestion I had, but nothing for the pain that keeps radiating. Yesterday I wind up in the ER with pain I cannot tolerate longer and PB that went very high. They ruled out anything heart related. It occurred to me: Do I have extreme heartburn, acid that could be presenting this issue or something else like that?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

It is not an acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Do you smoke? Have you had a chest X-ray.

Acid reflux usually gives burning pain located in the middle chest. It does not radiate anywhere. Your pain can be from the kidney, rib nerve inflammation or even from pancreas or peptic ulcer.

Kidney pain can radiate to the waist and be caused by a stone or infection.

Rib nerve pain is a sharp one, gets more intense while breathing and less when the chest is not moving.

With stomach or pancrease, nausea is a very characteristic symptom.

I suggest you to have blood work with pancreas tests, urine analysis and chest X-ray. If you smoke, chest CT should be done. If you have nausea, abdominal ultrasound and gastroscopy should be considered.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko,
General Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (1 hour later)
I do not smoke, never have. They did a chest exray which they said was clear. They did a urinalysis, but not certain what all they checked.

I do have pain right under my check-near esophogas--acid reducer seems to help somewhat.

Your comment on rib nerve pain does make sense. If I'm very still it seems to settle some, but not completely go aware.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Try Diclofenac.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

If it is a rib nerve issue, than Diclofenac should help. You should also try physical therapy like a massage.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko,
General Surgeon
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon