• question-icon

What causes pain in the lower back radiating to the right rib cage?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I'm a 64 year old man who has undergone four previous back surgeries. I was reciently diagnosed with two degerartive disks at L2 and L 3. I have been experiencing multiple debilitating muscle spassams starting from the center of my lower back a radiating across my rib cage on my right side. I'm in extramarital pain and have experience a loss of hunger. The area in question is etreammly sensitive to the touch. I can sleep in any position without aggravating my current situation can you assist.

I can be reached at YYYY@YYYY
Respectfully
XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Epidural injections and physical therapy may help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Symptoms you describe point in involvement of upper lumbar nerves and probably lower thoracic spine nerves.

Besides current treatment that you are talking, I think epidural injections and physical therapy may help improve your condition.

Of course is necessary also to avoid physical efforts, weightlifting, etc.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical