What causes pain in the lower back radiating to the buttocks and legs?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have pain that radiates from my lower back, through my buttocks and down my leg. My leg is sore to the touch and the pains goes all the way to my ankle (most painful at the back of the leg and heal of the ankle)
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
most likely Sciatica.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Sciatica is the most probable condition in your case.

Diseases that may cause it include herniated disc disease, degenerative discs disease, spondylolysthesis etc.

Please discuss with your Doctor about getting evaluated medically on by imaging tests such X-rays and MRI of your lumbosacral spine.

Treatment in first stages includes NSAID drugs use, rest, physical therapy and epidural injections.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee