What causes pain in the lower back and abdomen after a miscarriage?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, my wife recently had a miscarriage (a month ago) 4 weeks into her pregnancy. She was doing ok, but since the past one week, she has been having a lot of white discharge, and pain in lower back and lower abdomen. Could you please let me know if anything needs to be considered? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pelvic inflammatory disease likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
White discharge from vagina, lower backache and lower abdomen is most likely due to infection in the vagina and cervix leading to pelvic inflammatory disease.
I will suggest her to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper internal examination, vaginal swab test, ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and get further treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad