What causes pain in the lower abdomen?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: HELLO,my husband 65yr old,white male, good health, having lower abdomen pain, front and right sided, feels like needs to move bowels , but does not really need to do so, nausea, pain moves from right side toward center and somewhat downward. Kidney stone ? cannot sleep , taking no fluids as feels like it will all come back up. 6 hour duration and continuing Thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
please attach a picture indicating the site of pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Lower part of abdomen contain large intestine overlapping kidney so most likely his symptoms are related to either kidney or large intestine.It can be an acute infection termed medically as gastroenteritis or it can be due to infection in diverticulitis in which small pouches in intestines are infected by bacteria.
Kidney stone usually present with pain in flank area so if possible can you attach a picture of area in which he is experiencing pain.

I would suggest you to go for two tests-
Ultrasound abdomen and kub(to rule out if its kidney or intestine.
Stool test to rule out infection.
Symptoms of kidney stone and enteritis are more or less overlapping.
So catch is that if pain is involving flanks most likely its due to stone otherwise it can be enteritis also.

Regards.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj