What causes pain in the legs during a bowel movement?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: legs and feet hurt when i take a bowel movements
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over straining during stool passing.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM for your query!

It seems that you have been suffering from chronic constipation, which is probably the cause for you to strain during bowel movements.This over straining during bowel causes pain and cramp in legs and feets.

For the time being, using laxatives or Fibre supplements like metamucil can help you to have formed stools, which are easier to be passed out. But for a long term improvement additional lifestyle and dietary changes would be very necessary.

Constipation in adults is due to a stressed lifestyle with lack of proper eating habits , having more junk and processed food, rather than freshly prepared whole foods, low intake of dietary fiber and inadequate amounts of fluids.

You might consider adding enough fiber in your diet. Vegetables with high-fiber content (peas, beans, apricots, prunes, peaches, pears, plums, spinach), fresh fruits, dried fruits, and whole wheat, XXXXXXX or oatmeal cereals are excellent sources of fiber. To reap the benefits of fiber, drink plenty of fluids to help pass the stool.

Include a lot of whole grain bread, corn XXXXXXX cereals, buns, muffins, XXXXXXX flakes, whole wheat cereals, whole grain pasta, and brown rice in your daily diet.
Whole grains - help to enhance the digestive system.

Regular exercise (abdominal contraction exercises and leg raises) are also important in establishing regular normal bowel movements and to decrease cramps arising out of strain.

Follow healthy eating habits including eating at regular intervals and avoiding skipping of meals.

Taking time to have a bowel movement when you need to. Visit the toilet for 15 minutes in the morning, even if you are unable to have a bowel movement. This relaxes and stimulates your digestive system.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy