What causes pain in the leg radiating to the heel?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Back Pain
Question: For about a week now, I have been having pain in my the back of my left leg that radiates down to the left heel of my foot. Hurts to walk, sit and sleep. No injury, nothing that would have triggered it. Age 62, moderately active. Not sure what type of physician to see since I don'the see many. I have a GYN, and an Internal Medicine, and a cardiologist ( only to monitor bp---no heart health issues). Not a smoker-never have been.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:
A pain at the back of the leg radiating to the heel can be due to plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis. You need to consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and related investigations.
Using an ankle brace, mild pain killer and a hot compress will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
Is it possible this could be DVT...deep vein thrombosis? The pain is predominantly in Mt hamstring radiating down to and hovering sometimes with piercing pain unto my heel only. Just trying to figure out if I should seek medical attention today or can I wait until I can get an appointment this week?

Maybe even Fibromyalgia??? As I am always tired and find it hard to do many things because of my ever present back pain. Sleep is not restful either due to the pain. This most recent flare-up with the left leg and heel have me miserable.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
DVT less likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
DVT and fibromyalgia are less likely possibilities. However a direct examination and a few investigations are needed to find the cause. If the pain subsides on taking mild pain killers then you can wait to see your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.