What causes pain in the left side of upper abdomen?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Left Side near by stomach pains while sitting on chair in work area.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to a musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:
The pain on the left side in upper abdomen can be due to a musculoskeletal pain related to rib inflammation or costochondritis. It can also happen due to abdominal distension caused by gas and indigestion.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with your orthopedician for proper treatment after the diagnosis is confirmed.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
In addition, you also need some strict life style modification like-
Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal