What causes pain in the left-side of the head, neck and ear?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am having pain in the rear left hand side of my brain which in turn causes headaches. I also have pain down the left side of my neck behind my ear. Should I be concerned. I had a catscan and they said I have arthritis, but I have been dealing with that.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a pain from arthritis but consider possible red flags.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The pain from the arthritis it is usually radiated in the direction you are describing. It also affects the local muscles which explains the pain in the neck and behind the ear. It should be a pain which feels better after the use or normal analgesics and physical therapy (including right posture, exercises to strengthen the local muscles and local application of heat/cold and analgesics).

If you are doing all of the above and not feeling any relief, then you should return again at the local neurologist who can examine you again and also order other tests. CAT scan not always diagnoses everything, and a MRI may be needed as well.
Other signs to be aware of something serious are:
- The pain not stopping day and night
- The pain getting worse gradually
- The pain not relieved by normal analgesics or movement
- Start of other symptoms not related with arthritis like visual changes, numbness, ect.

From what you are describing it seems to me to be a pain from arthritis and muscular tension. But that is only from your description and I don't know all the details of your problem. So if worse or not better, I would recommend seeing your local doctor and doing the necessary tests.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
What are good exercises to strengthen the local muscles?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physicaltherapist understands from exam what exercise is needed

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow up question.

The exercises should be specific and recommended by the physicaltherapist, depending on the findings of their exam and to the muscles that are weak.

You can try yourself doing movements of your neck in all the directions (left and right, front and back), slowly, 10 repetitions 3 times/day.
Also work on your shoulders and posture, making sure you keep a good posture.
Check your sleeping position as well, and use a good pillow (high enough for you to feel comfortable).

I hope these make sense and it is helpful.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng