• question-icon

What causes pain in the left side of the abdomen?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am on vacation in CA from Iowa and am suffering with pain in the left side of abdomen, plus diahrea and loss of appetite. Can you give me some home remedies? It sounds like diverticulitist
Answered by Dr. Sunil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query!

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever..Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.

Home Treatment-

Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from vomiting and diarrhoea. Water is best, but you could also try fruit juice and soup.
Take paracetamol for any fever or aches and pains.
Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.
Use special rehydration drinks made from sachets electral solution to maintain depleted electrolyte levels in serum.
Take anti-vomiting medication (such as zofran 4 mg twice daily ) and antidiarrhoeal medication (such as loperamide upto 16 mg a day) .

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist