What causes pain in the left shoulder blade after drinking beer?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I have a pain in my left shoulder blade after drinking beer. I have had this now for code to a year. It is only effected when drinking beer. I have experimented and tried wine, but wine doesn't seem to cause the pain, only beer. Iran you help tell me what this may. E
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
beer seems to be just precipitating factor,orthopedic opinion is needed

Detailed Answer:

You narrated that you feel pain in left shoulder after drinking beer and not with wine.If beer is directly responsible for pain due to its own effects pain would be there in both shoulders not only on one side.
There is possibility of some bone,muscle or nerve problem in your left shoulder likely. Beer and/or its metabolites might be affecting that local pathology in left shoulder and precipitating the pain.In this way beer seems to be just precipitating the pain and not directly responsible for the same.

I would recommend you to visit orthopedic doctor for physical examination and if needed investigations like X-ray or sonography for proper diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist