question-icon

What causes pain in the left foot when diagnosed with tendonitis?

Posted on Tue, 21 Feb 2017
Question: I am having pain mainly on top of the outer part of my left foot a little bit below my two little toes. It only hurts when I wake up in the morning or if I get up from being on the couch or sitting for a long period of time. Once I start walking, the pain goes away. Before the pain goes away, I notice the discomfort goes toward the toes and then leaves. Also, I am a runner. I last ran 3 miles on Wednesday. I have not run since but did 45 minutes on the elliptical the last two days with resistance. After I use the elliptical, just like walking, everything loosens up with no discomfort or pain until I am not using the foot for awhile. Once I start walking around the pain starts to subside. Also, if I do a calf stretch on stairs, it loosens up. Could this just be tendonitis or could it be a stress fracture. I run with custom made orthotics. I just use a stable running shoe on the elliptical.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Tendonitis , gouty arithritis , plantar fasciitis could be the main cause of your pain that may resolve simultaneously or with minimal use of tratments in mild cases .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion it is a kind of tendonitis , arithritis , plantar fasciitis .
all three cases ara a kind of inflammation usually relived by minimal using of painkillers like advil 400 mg after meals when needed , gentle massaging with topical gels like declophen , elevating your foot while having rest .

I dont think you could have a stress fracture beacause it will show edema and swelling and will be more painful whille running and walking .

If pain persist i suggest some lab investigations like urine analysis , SUA ( serum uric acid ) , ASOT ( anti streptolysin o titre ) etc , to exclude any kind of gout or increases salt crystals in your small joints .

visit your orthopedic if results have any kind of abnormalities for proper diagnosis and evaluation .

Please consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Hope the above information helps you,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon