• question-icon

What causes pain in the left calf muscle?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Lupus
Question: my wife had pain in her left calf in th morning when she was sleeping.when we checked her calf muscle was as hard as a stone.i massaged the lower part.of her leg and her feet and then it became ok.she had similar pain 5 days back only when she was sleeping. This has happened to her after more than one year.earlier also.she use to have this on the same leg when sleeping or lying down.she would also have the same problem with her fingers of the foot.they would entangle.she could not seperate them on her own or move them what is the cause and what should we do.is it dvt
?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hypocalcemia

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, these sort of complaints look like Cramps...Where the muscles go into spasm due to poor contraction. It does not look like DVT as the muscles wont go back to normal and the hardness and swelling will persist.

It is mainly due to defeciency of calcium and Vitamin D in the body which are essential for muscle contraction. Also, include Vitamin E in the tablets form for a few months to make up for the defieciency. I would recommend:

1. Tablet Shelcal 500 mg once a day
2. Capsule Uprise D 3 60 once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month
3. Tablet Evion 400 mg once daily

Take it for a couple of months and see if she improves. Incase she doesnt, we will need to investigate her further

Hope the information was useful

do let me know for more queries

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist