What causes pain in the left back mid rib?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi

Thank you for considering my question.
I have been getting mid-left back rib pain for weeks now with pain in the front of my ribs. I have also noticed that the left bottom side of my rib cage is protruding and looks asymmetrical. I had an X-ray of my spine a couple of months before the onset of my pain and my spine was perfectly straight.

I'm worried about my liver/pancreas/spleen and wanted to know if this gnawing pain could be internal?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the left back mid rib can be due to-
1. musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. It can be due to costochondritis also.

2. Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on deep breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.

3. GERD: This condition too presents with the similar symptoms as described by you and usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors group of drugs. The mild protruding of chest is not there.

4. Panic attacks: This is a condition that is seen in hyperthyroid patients with anxiety related symptoms. This can also present with chest pain, breathlessness and other generalized symptoms. This condition can also be confused with cardiac problems.
The pain is not likely to be due to liver spleen or pancreas.
It is important to find out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow accordingly.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
I've attached a photo of my lower ribs. My left side has started protruding in conjunction with the pain. Is this something i should try to ignore?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
musculo skeletal inflammation likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The mild bulge is likely to be due to a musculo skeletal inflammation. You can get it confirmed by your physician. It is not to be ignored as earlier the diagnosis better will be the treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 minute later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcone.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards