What causes pain in the knees, calves and hips after arthroscopic surgery?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Recently I had arthroscopic surgery. Both of my knees, calves and strangely the deep sides of my hind end below my hips really hurt when walking at normal pace. Also, stairs are incredibly painful. Please give me an idea why? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need little more detail of the illness

Detailed Answer:
Hello , I have studied your case and I think this can be due to infection or vitamin deficiency. Before I advised you anything I would like to know little detail of the illness.
1 when did this surgery took place and what was the indication?
2.Do you have fever or any pain at knee?
3.Do you have Diabetes or thyroid or smoking?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 4 days later
The surgery was the end of March, this year. I have a lot pain in the knee with surgery and the other from overuse. I do not smoke or have diabetes, but do have an under active thyroid that is being cared for with Synthroid and closely monitored by my physician every three months. I hope this helps. My knees make me just simply hurt all over. I want my life back. What about stem cell treatment?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may need knee replacement

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think you have knee arthritis. You have already tried arthroscopy but it is not successful. In that case you have only one option that is knee replacement. It will give you good pain relief. Stem cells therapy is still in experimental phase. You can try it but results are usually disappointing. It is very costly also. So my opinion is more in favour of knee replacement.
Thanks