What causes pain in the knee joint while having dengue fever?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Doctor,

Around 2 month back I was diagnosed with Dengue fever and now I am feeling weaker. Also, my overall health is gone down. I haven't lost any weight but from my face people can easily make out that, my health has gone down. And 2 weeks back I had cold & cough.

Apart from this I have knee joint pain, also my knees are making cranky sound most of the time when I walk. I am not sure but I feel that my overall immune system has gone down.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dengue fever is known to present with severe joint symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
I can understand your concern.
As dengue is an viral fever, it is self limiting disease.It takes its own time to get resolved.It varies with each individual depending on their immune system.
Even after resolving of fever, residual effects such as joint pain, weakness will be there for few months. No need to worry
Have plenty of fluids
Avoid non veg for few months
Try to avoid protein rich food
Have fresh vegetables and fruits
You can have pain killers like Diclofenac /Ibubrofen for pain
For cold and cough you can take Tab Sinarest twice daily for 2 days.
If you have cough with sputum, you may need Tab Azithromycin 500 mg. As this is presciption based drug, get the same from the local doctor.

If you have any doubt, you are welcome.
Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 17 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for prompt response.

I have few more questions:

-How long will these joint pain will stay?
-I am Non-Vegetarian and almost every day I have Chicken and Egg diet, how it impacts my health?
-What should be my diet now?
-I regularly play sports like Badminton, Cricket and also Gyming. but from past two months I haven't because of health problems. Can I continue playing or gyming, keeping in mind that I have knee pains.
-How much time it will take to recover my overall health?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Usually pain persists for 4-5 months.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
Usually pain persists for 4-5 months but again varies with each individual.
It is very necessary to supply your body with plenty of fluids throughout the day. Oral re hydration solution, fruit juices, coconut water, lime juice etc can be given which will help to remove the toxins from the body. Virus gets excreted via urine hence reducing its load in the body.

Your diet can include boiled vegetables, rice porridge, soup, toast, apples, bananas and tea.

Do not over load yourself with spices, salt, fried and oily food.

In dengue the liver of the patient is targeted by the virus. So there is impaired function of liver. So it becomes very important to supply body with easy to digest food. So that body doesn’t have to do extra effort of converting complex food into simple forms. After patient’s intake improves next focus after hydrating the patient is to start with a high protein diet after few months.Protein rich foods have to be included in the diet like milk and its products, pulses, eggs, fish,Chicken can be taken in lower quantity.

You can do your routine sports activity, if you are not tired.But reduce duration of sports until you recover completely.

Dr Priyanka G Raj