What causes pain in the hip radiating to the knee?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I have had a hip replacement on this right leg in 2013. I have never been able to get any side movement without it hurting badly. Can not ride a jet ski or a horse due to the pain. Now I have a pain on the back side of this leg from my but down to my knee. It only subsides when I lay down. I have been taking Tylenol to help the pain. This has been going on for 4 days with no relief. I also have some back issue, bulging discs and herniated discs. I know there is something wrong as this is a new pain that has never happened before.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disc bulge likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain from the hip radiating to the knee is likely to be due to a minor nerve root compression due to bulging discs.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal