What causes pain in the hip area?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: It started, I thought, in my right hip joint. If I applied heat, it usually healed. Now it has been about 3 weeks. I can only sit for a very short time, like 1/2 hour. And it has spread to my whole outer thigh. Sleeping is worse. I can usually sleep on left side, but I get very restless.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
a few possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
While I cannot diagnose, treat, or make referrals without actually being there, in painful situations there is general information that is quite useful.

First, triggering the pain usually locates where the problem is. If standing on it hurts and if moving the leg out to the side hurts, it is likely the hip. If yanking it outward or sitting on it causes most of the pain then it is more likely to be a disk disease in the hip and the pain is along where the nerves from the back travel (from the back, out to the hip, and down the back of the leg).

Then, why the problem should occur. The time course is a key point. If it has gradually been getting worse over 10 years, then acute problems like infection or collapse of a bony structure, or invasion by cancer are all not likely. If on the other hand the pain started suddenly, then more suddenly occurring conditions such as infection or tumor (or thin bones and the vertebrae suddenly and acutely collapse) are at least possibilites.

Frankly an examination, and maybe x rays would sort this out in one visit most of the time.