What causes pain in the hip after herniated disc surgery?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I had my right hip replaced about 7 years ago. 3 months ago i had back surgery and had 4 discs removed and replaced with spacers and 5 vertabras fused. It has been 8 weeks since my back surgery,
I now have a problem doing therapy or walking do to excrucating pain in my right (fake) hip. I returned my my hip surgeon and he informed me that he thought that I have ripped a muscle from my bone in that hip and that the chance of putting a post in the bone and retieing the muscle to the post is the only way he knows how to may fix the problem. At the same time he is telling me that 90 % of the operations he has performed to do this has failed. He is telling me that this is a permanent situation and he knows no way to fix the problem. I am considering selling my house and moving into an assisted living quarters with my wife because of the help that I need to have any kind of quality of life.
Can you tell me if you know of any medical procedure that could help me or is my Dr correct in his diagonsess of the problem. He has given me a shot of steroid in my hip which helped to relieve the pain for 3 or 4 days. The pais is very excruating and the only way i can walk is with a walker. I am in pain 24/7 and have no quality of life at all at this point.
Please give me any information that you can concerning the problem that I have described to you.
I was in a rehab center for 8 weeks to help strengthen my back muscles, was discharged for 2 weeks and returned for outpatient therapy for aprox. 3 weeks before my hip replacemnt started hurting. The therapist then started doing exercises that did not effect my right hip replacement. A week later I was in so much pain in my hip that I had to quit therapy am currently getting around barely on a walker.
I hope this is enough information so that you understand my problem and can maybe give me some kind of an alternative opposed to this being what it is for the rest of my life.
Sincerely
XXXXXXX XXXX
email address is
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.
I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I generally see many cases like this at my clinic,who have simultaneuos back problems and a old hip replacement done as well.

We find 2 possibilties-

POSSIBLITY 1. -The hip pain may be a localised hip joint problem related to the bone,muscle,nerve or any soft tissue inside the hip that may be the culprit and the cause of pain

POSSIBLITY 2. There may ba nerve damaged/stretched/inflammed in the lumbar disc region, causing a radiating pain in the hip.

I would like to know a few things from you Mr Gerald-

-Has this pain started after disc surgery or after the rehabliltation exercises you started ?

-Do you get pain even at rest,like sitting ,sleeping..or is the pain only on ambulating and weight bearing. ?

-Have your xray/mri of hip and spine been done after you started having pain ?

My reading is the pain has started out of overstraining of some of your soft tissues during this rehabilitation period, may be wrongly adviced exercises.

As the doctor has told you,if the muscle in the hip is at fault,then the procedure he has described is the only definitive solution,though the surgery has bad results and has to be done with utmost care.

Other option is you can consult a good physiotherapist and find out if he has any special exercise designed for this type of ailment that may solve the problem without going through this cumbersome surgery.

You already have suffered a lot going through these surgeries till now and i personally feel that you should avoid any other surgery at this moment.

Please upload any xray/mri/prescription notes available so that i can guide you better

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     

I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil,
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj