Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes pain in the heel radiating to the center of the foot?

Answered by
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1983

Answered : 1171 Questions

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the past three days my right heel has been hurting, worse in the morning after getting up from sleep. The pain seems to lessen a bit after some gentle walking. Pain tends to radiate toward the center of the foot. I am fairly active, approx. 10% overweight. I am a 77 yrs old female.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is plantar fascitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
This condition is called plantar fascitis .In this condition there is swelling in the heel where the fascia is attached. Sometimes there is a bony growth called calcaneal spur. I would recommend X ray of both heels to see for bony growth.
I would suggest pain killers , hot application and use of silicone heel pads in shoes.
If there is no relief in 2-3 weeks then you may need local injection of steroids.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Calcaneal spur

doctor1 MD

hi, my mum has calcium spurs in her feet. recently she has been complaining of headaches and pain throughout her body like, thighs, back, shoulder. blood works shows no indications. I am concerrned if it could be related to her spurs in her feet.

doctor1 MD

Yes please my question is what could this be it's getting worse. My left foot on bottom I have bad pain that shoots up to my knee. Waking me up at night.

doctor1 MD

Could this be plantar fasciitis? I was recently diagnosed with Achiiles tendonitis, and Posterior Tibial Tendonitis (tendonitis on the inside of my foot). Ihave pain through my achilles tendon and on the insid eof my foot due to these issues. Recently, my heel and plantar fascia ligament has been hurting. I have pain first thing in the morning, and if I stand on it for too long, sit for too long, or walk for too long. Could this be plantar fasciitis? I go to physical therapy, and the physical therapy student said that my plantar fascia ligament is tight. When I go into physical therapy on Monday, should I ask them about it and have them diagnose me? The brace I have for my foot doesn t really have any cushioning for my plantar fascia ligament, would I need something different if I have plantar fasciitis?

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, I have severe pain in my calfs and under the feet. i also have tiny calcaneal spurs in the both heels. is the pain occuring due to the spurs? i have a tendency to get twisted feet when i step in an uneven surface. Please suggest me. Sutapa