What causes pain in the heel radiating to the center of the foot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
For the past three days my right heel has been hurting, worse in the morning after getting up from sleep. The pain seems to lessen a bit after some gentle walking. Pain tends to radiate toward the center of the foot. I am fairly active, approx. 10% overweight. I am a 77 yrs old female.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is plantar fascitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
This condition is called plantar fascitis .In this condition there is swelling in the heel where the fascia is attached. Sometimes there is a bony growth called calcaneal spur. I would recommend X ray of both heels to see for bony growth.
I would suggest pain killers , hot application and use of silicone heel pads in shoes.
If there is no relief in 2-3 weeks then you may need local injection of steroids.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.