What causes pain in the heel radiating to the center of the foot?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the past three days my right heel has been hurting, worse in the morning after getting up from sleep. The pain seems to lessen a bit after some gentle walking. Pain tends to radiate toward the center of the foot. I am fairly active, approx. 10% overweight. I am a 77 yrs old female.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is plantar fascitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
This condition is called plantar fascitis .In this condition there is swelling in the heel where the fascia is attached. Sometimes there is a bony growth called calcaneal spur. I would recommend X ray of both heels to see for bony growth.
I would suggest pain killers , hot application and use of silicone heel pads in shoes.
If there is no relief in 2-3 weeks then you may need local injection of steroids.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana