What causes pain in the hands and legs after C-section delivery?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,
My wife had C-section delivery on 20th Dec 2016 and she is having pain in her hands specially in her fingers, knuckles and palm. Also, she is having pain in her legs.

Secondly, her bleeding is stopped but, she is having daily discharge. please advise. Thanks.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain can be there

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic.
Thanks for writing in to us with your health query.

Pain can be there after delivery as there is generalized weakness . She can take Paracetamol to relieve pain .

Is she having difficulty in opening and closing of fingers ? There can be discharge post delivery.

Is it foul smelling? if it is foul smelling then it is a matter of concern.

Also let me know about the consistency of the discharge ?

Awaiting....

Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 22 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, she is having pain in opening and closing of fingers and even in lifting small things like water jug and lifting the baby.

Discharge is not foul smelling. It is not thick and not much. She feels discharge after urination.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calcium intake advised

Detailed Answer:
Discharge is common after delivery and is called as lochia.
It is normal and nothing active needs to be done
As regards pain in joints is there just try to increase your calcium intake via tablets and milk intake.
In case pain still continues then visit an orthopaedician for further examination and evaluation.
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 days later
Hi Doctor,
Is there any exercise which can help in relieving pain considering the C section delivery?

Secondly, baby takes feed from one breast and doesn't latches on another one. Any suggestions? And also please suggest how to increase the milk production as mother's milk is not sufficient to feed the baby fully and we are using "Nan Pro 1" for additional feed as suggested by doctor.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Precautions advised

Detailed Answer:
She should take a lot of milk and calcium as advised along with adequate water daily.
If there is a problem of latchment to one Breast only then most probably the nipple on that side is not formed properly or you are not holding the baby nicely
So visit a feeding consultant or simply her gynaecologist for proper examination and Evaluation.
If milk production is low then drink a lot of water and also take tablet Perinorm twice a day after consulting your gynaecologist as it needs a prescription for procurement
In general at least avoid Nan or any outside supplemental food.