What causes pain in the fingers, elbow and shoulder?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: i have pain on left three little fingers on the hand ,elbow,shoulder and left chest and the pain runs all the way to my left leg. also get very tired and out of breath when i walk a short distance and feel burning sensation on my chest.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that it is improtant performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis of different causes that may lead to this clinical scenario:

- cardiac ischemia
- heart failure (considering the shortness of breath)
- a pinched nerve leading to the pain in the three fingers and hand
- a cervical spine bulging disc, leading to spine compression or nerve compression (causing the pain in the arm and leg).

That is why I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests:

- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart function and structure
- a cardiac stress test to exclude cardiac ischemia
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, fasting glucose, kidney and liver function tests, PCR, sedimentation rate).
- a cervical spine X ray study to examine the cervical spine. A cervical spine CT scan or MRI coupled with a nerve conduction study would be needed if suspicions or a bulging disk or pinched nerve are raised, especially if all cardiac tests result normal.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Meanwhile, I recommend avoiding straining physical activity.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri