• question-icon

What causes pain in the eyes along with sore cheeks?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,

On April 4th, I went out at night, drank quite a bit, and felt very hungover and sick the next day. After a nap I woke up and noticed that my right cheek was sore, and that I could feel some muscle there was strained. It's not noticeable at rest, but if I smile, or touch the bone where the cheek is, it is sore.

That day I had some dull pain behind my eyes. I also had a cold sore (which I've always gotten when my immune system is down). I have for years suffered from almost constant stuffy nose/phlegm, and about once a year I get sinus infections, so I figured this was to blame, even though cheek pain has never been a symptom I've experienced.

The pain behind my eyes has dissipated, but it is now 4 days on and I still have a sore cheek. I am afraid this is something worse than a sinus issue - that perhaps a tumor is pressing on the nerve leading to the area, or something of that nature. I can move that side of my face perfectly, and there is no swelling, but nonetheless the minor pain continues to persist. It has not gotten worse, nor has it dissipated. It is not sharp, but rather dull, and most felt when I smirk or grin.

As someone with health anxieties I cannot get this cheek pain from my mind and would appreciate some clarity on what it could possibly be, and what remedies there might to the matter, if any. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a muscular problem since it is related with movement.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

There are various possible causes that we can think causing that pain, before we think of a cancer.
First, you might have hit the area somewhere while you were drunk, and do not remember it. The way you describe it, seems like something connected with the muscles. A bone problem hurts all the time and not only when you move the muscles.
Second, you may have a tooth problem. If you haven't done your routine visit to the dentist recently, I would suggest to consider it.
And thirdly, if it was a cancer the pain would much much higher.

So my suggestion is that you wait for up to 2 weeks because a muscle pain will need that much time to heal completely.
Take a painkiller if it bothers you, like Ibuprofen 400mg. If better after Ibuprofen, this is another confirmation that it is something muscular.
Apply a local analgesic in your cheek, and some ice, 3-4 times/day. Maybe this would have been more helpful the first days, but still can help a little.

If worse or not better in 2 weeks time, then it is time to see a local doctor and consider further testing.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako