What causes pain in the chest that radiates to the shoulders?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have pain in my chest, it started in the back and comes around my left breast and goes up my shoulder into the back of my neck. Painful when I press on my chest or bend over. This started a week ago.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heart problem should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such pain can be caused either by spine disc issue or heart problem (including heart ischemia).
As heart problem should be ruled out as the most dangerous condition, I suggest you to do not wait with it. At least heart ECG and heart markers (Troponine and CK-MB) should be checked.
If this is a sharp pain, spin disc issue seems more probable than a heart problem (heart gives burning pain). In such case, you should consult orthopedist and consider spine MRI.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
I have osteoarthritis in my spine and have had several needles inserted into my spine to burn the nerves. I do not think the pain is from my spine. Now when I move my left chest area the pain is becoming more intense and also when I take a deep breath. I feel somewhat nauseous but that maybe from the pain. Do you think I should wait until Monday when my doctor is in?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may wait till Monday.

Detailed Answer:
I would insist it comes from your spine. Maybe just a different level than the pain you have had before.
For sure its not a heart pain as you can trigger it by movement. It acts just like a rib nerve irritation due to its compression (in the spine). Nausea can be from the pain if it lasts for a long time.
In my opinion you may wait till Monday.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
How would they find out, by an X-ray?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
By MRI.

Detailed Answer:
X-ray is good for fractures diagnosis. If you want to see nerves and spine, MRI is necessary.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Thank you I will close this discussion now.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.