What causes pain in the calf muscles?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I get a dull ache in my side of my calf at night in bed. Stops when I get up but comes back later. I do workout daily but not running or threatmill. I'm losing sleep.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood circulation and pinched nerve to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

The pain in the calf that you describe in most of cases is caused by being fatigued during the day.

If the ache or pain is getting worse, other conditions should be considered and evaluated further.

These conditions include deep vein thrombosis, peripheral artery disease and a pinched nerve.

Since you feel better after you get up ischemic pain ( related to leg vessels dysfunction ) is a possibility.

It is necessary to see your Doctor and to get evaluated with Doppler ultrasound and clinically in order to achieve a correct diagnosis of your condition.

If the ultrasound comes back normal, a pinched nerve in your back should be considered.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T