What causes pain in the breast after a fall?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I fell flat on my chest/breasts on a hardwood floor, very painful. This happened in December. Last week I went for a routine mammogram. I was called back today for another mammogram and a possible ultrasound.
The fall resulted in 3 cracked ribs and a little lung injury/involvement. Could a inside the breast bruise show up as suspicious? I am a nervous wreck to say the least.

XXXXXXX XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The injury has probably led to some changes in the breasts like a contusion

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome to Health care magic,

Please relax. The injury has probably led to some changes in the breasts like a contusion (blood collection) leading to a suspicious looking lesion.

I am sure there will be no cancer.

When did you have a mammography before this?

You can revert back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
the last mammogram before last week's was in 2014 with no problems. I am panicked beyond belief over this. I wiah your answer was in larger print because I can hardly read it. When I had the chest xray for the cracked ribs wouldn't that have shown something in my breasts? Do you really think it could be related to the fall when that was in Dec. and my mammogram was last week? Please answer in larger priint in an email.

thank you, XXXXXXX XXXX

if I had something like bruising or a suspicious lump etc. wouldn't thatt have shown up on the chest xray I had done a few days after the fall? Would that condition you mentioned still be inside my breast (s) last week? wouldn't it have healed? Please give me some info on that condition you mentioned. is it when you blood doesn't clot? I don't have that problem. My best friend has had a few mammograms that showed bruising, I think she also had a biopsy. the doctor wasn't concerned with the results. She has her mammograms done at a breast clinic that shows very large images, something not all hospitals do I guess.

XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contusion is what happens when there is an injury with collection of blood

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Contusion is what happens when there is an injury with collection of blood and inflammation. No it does not mean blood does not clot.
It may not show up in x-ray.
Since breasts have a lot of tissue, we may not feel it either unless we look specifically for it.
It would have healed partially since it is more than a month, and some inflammation may be left still which may have shown up in the mammogram. This may have prompted them to want a repeat test with sonography.
If you have had a mammography one year back, please do not worry.

This in my opinion must only be due to the healing hematoma.

Hope this is the case.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana