What causes pain in the breast after a fall?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I fell flat on my chest on a hardwood floor, the pain was bad especially my right breast. An xray showed 3 cracked ribs on that side and a bit of lung involvement. This was in December. Last week I had a routine mammogram but was just called back for another one and a possible ultrasound. I am a nervous wreck about this but could I have bruised the inside of my breast and that's what is showing up?

XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your history and I understand your concerns about the call to do another mamogram and ultrasound of your brest.

It doesn't always mean a bad thing doing another mamogram and an ultrasound of your breast.

Since you fell in december,if there were bruises inside your breast,than by this time (almost 2 month) they would have healed. BUT in certain cases, the bruises from a trauma,might get calcification and will show in your mamogram.

Another option is that they have found presence of abnormal tissue in your breast,so they need to be sure for what it is. No reason to worry,at least till they diagnose it. There are a lot of conditions that affect the breast and that can be treated easily like simple cysts, fibroadenomas,intraductal papilloma ect

Since you had all the necessary exams in december and they didn't find anything wrong,than probably there is nothing wrong 2 months later and they just need to be sure about that.

If you have any other question,don't hesitate to contact me.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 2 hours later
I couldn't make out your answer, the words were too small to read. I can't download, I need to read the answer larger in an email.

thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX I will write in fewer words the answer and I hope that the words are not small again,so you will be able to read it.

-It doesn't always mean a bad thing doing another mamogram and an ultrasound of your breast.
Usually bruises will heal in a 2 month period or even faster, BUT in certain cases, the bruises from a trauma,might get calcification and will show in your mamogram.

Since in december you had nothing wrong with you,in the exams that you did,than probably there is nothing to be worried,just routine exams.

The CRM team will be sending you my answers via email, kindly check you email for my answer.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy