What causes pain in the bottom of the foot?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Sharp pain on the bottom of my right foot, close to my toes, in the middle between the balls of mt foot. Feels as if I am barefoot and stepped on a small rock. Pain shoots up into my foot and towards my two middle toes. Just walked nine holes of golf; didn’t notice much pain during the round, but stabbing pain with every step now. Pain also noticeable periodically at work, particularly during days spent almost entirely on my feet with constant movement throughout the day (restaurant manager). Problem became noticeable in last three-four weeks. Steadily worsening. Sixty-one years old, 5’8”, 200lbs, generally good health. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
sounds like metatarsalgia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the question.
It sounds like you have metatarsalgia, a painful condition in the bottom of your foot. Here is a website where you can read more about it.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metatarsalgia/symptoms-causes/syc-0000
It is usually not serious but can cause a lot of discomfort. It can be caused by some foot deformities and by some abnormal growths called mortons neuromas. You will need to see a doctor or podiatrist to find out if these are the cause. Sometimes we never find the cause.
Try alternating ice and heat to the balls of the feet and add some well cushioned insoles in your shoes. Make sure also that your shoes are not too small and that they have a wide toe box (no pointy shoes).
Stretching and massage help in some cases and some physical therapists are good at relieving this type of pain.
I hope you get some relief soon,
Dr. Robinson