What causes pain in the armpit after mole removal surgery?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I had a punch biopsy mole removal from my armpit about 34 hours. The whole of my underarm and boob area is in agony I can't rest, sleep and it's so painful it's making me want to vomit. I was told I couldn't get it wet for 3 days so I can't clean the area and I don't know if it will get infected. Is this pain normal? And what can I do to help the pain. I am taking pain relief
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, not normal

Detailed Answer:
Cannot say in your particular case, I can only say that all the biopsies I've seen or heard about have been dime sized or smaller. They hurt about as much as a scraped knee (or less).

Any time an area of skin is broken it is at risk of infection. Areas that rub, are moist, have folds, that smell are much much more likely to have germs and have infections.

So, increasing pain after a procedure especially more than a day later and still increasing implies infection. Other general reasons to suspect an infection are outlined above:
area should not have much damage, it doesn't get that painful.
area should be healing
area is highly prone to infection
etc.
Infections need immediate treatment.