Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

What causes pain in the arch of the heel?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1198 Questions
I am slightly overwt but active...walk everyday for around 45 mins. Dont run ever.... Yesterday i went for 5 km walk but in my enthusiasm ran in between my walking. Last nite i developed a pain on the right side of my the area where the arch starts - after the heel. Its not the center of the foot but the on right side. Its aggravated when i walk...and is very localized to a specific point. There is no pain when resting.
I am attaching a pic with the area of pain marked. Its only on the right foot. I havent taken any medicine yet.

Please let me know medication / other precautions.

Should i continue with my morning walks.


Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history and the attached photograph in detail.

The pain seems to be due to bursitis (inflammation of a soft tissue bursa).This may have occured due to running (which you are not used to).

I would suggest you to take rest,refrain from walking for atleast a week till the pain subsides fully.

Take anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,apply local analgesic gel followed by hot fomentation.Application of compression bandage may help.

It would be a better choice if you could avoid climbing stairs and sitting cross legged.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Do follow up with me after 3 days of taking the above medicines to let me know the progress of the symptoms.

If the pain does not subside after 3 days,you should consult a doctor and get a Xray done.

Thank you.
Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor