What causes pain in the abdomen and legs?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I have a dull ache in my abdomen area. It started weeks ago and now seems to be on both sides below the belly button area. Yesterday, my right leg started aching as well. Could there be a connection? I'm 59 years old, female. I will be making a Dr. appt. but didn't know what the heck is going on, or if it could be urgent?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colitis as the most probable cause - can be connected

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Sine the pain has persisted for weeks as per your history, it is time to consult your Doctor as soon as possible.
Sine the pain in on both sides of abdomen below belly button the most probable cause in a female of 59 that I can think of as commonest is colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the large bowel.
If the inflammation has extended to the nerves supplying the right leg, this may be the reason, but this is rare and needs to be confirmed by investigations. Another reason can be a problem in the spine that causes pain in the leg or local problem in the right leg like varicose veins, venous stasis, muscle cramps and so on.
This may be urgent as you are suffering from pain in abdomen for weeks together and now you have pain in right leg.
Hence needs a proper clinical evaluation, examination and relevant investigations to get a correct diagnosis for proper management.

I hope this answers your queries.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.