What causes pain in testicle?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: This is awkward, but last night I woke up and moved my legs a little, and realized my right testicle was in pain. I'm worried because I read it could be from cancer to infections. I really dont want to tell my parents and go to the doctor because it is embarrasing. I dont really know what to do. Will it go away over time? To make it even more embarrasing, I'm only 13.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not to be shy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,
I would like to know the detailes like-
Character-onset (sudden vs gradual) and course (constant vs intermittent)
Location-abdominal vs inguinal vs scrotal (generalized vs localized)
Quality-sharp vs dull, moderate vs severe
Duration-length of time (time of onset and length, days vs hours).

It may be torsion of testes or infection.
In infection pain will be acute and more severe.
In carcinoma pain will be gradual and of less ntensity.

Better diagnosis can be made by actual examination, so i suggest you to see a doctor.
Hope i helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 31 minutes later
Thanks. The main pain is in the testes and spreads around the area. It isn't really sharp pain, more like a gradual tugging. It has kind of gone away a little over the past couple hours it seems, but I will tell my parents if it's still there tomorrow afternoon.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
tell parents.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.
As the pain is not severe infection is less likely.
Take otc pain killer and give scrtal support.
Rule out hernia.
Need further evaluation by doctor.
Hope i helped you.