• question-icon

What causes pain in tail bone area?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I woke up this morning in extreme pain I have scoliosis so my back always hurts but this is different my tailbone area looks like I have a softball under my skin and it hurts down my legs it hurts to do anything I have taken anti-inflammatories and Tylenol but no release I took a picture but u can't see it the best
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscle spasm or disc prolapse.

Detailed Answer:
A sudden pain in the tailbone area that hurts down the legs can be due to a muscle spasm, back muscle sprain or an acute disc prolapse. The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals.Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
Do start with swimming. This will do good for most back pains.
Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy particularly lumbar traction for a week and back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon