What causes pain in sternum radiating to breast?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Ive been having this pain in my sternum for the past week that radiates into my breast and right above my ribs. It feels like gas but when i touch around those areas it is tender. Can this be a gas bubble that wont pop? I dont really feel it in my heart. My heart rate is normal and so is my BP. I dont have any heart palpatations or unusual heart beat. I do feel gas coming down into my abdomen sometimes as well.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to soft tissue injury or Gastro esophageal reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.

Based on the information provided by you it might be due to soft tissue injury to the area or due to gastroepiploic esophageal reflux disease.
Presently for symptomatic relief:
I would have treated you with capsule omeprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast, empty stomach for 7 days. Apart from this avoid lying down immediately after meal, walk for 10 to 15 minutes. Eat diet rich in high fiber, avoid spicy food, alcohol and smoking if you do.

Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen as it will help in reducing pain and also will not produce acidity.
Cold compresses to her breast will be useful pain relieving measure.

If the pain persists or increases intensity or frequency, I would suggest you to see general surgeon for examination and if on examination if they feel they may ask for mammogram.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak