What causes pain in shoulder radiating to foot?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I've been taking allopurinol tablets for arthritis on my right shoulder for the past week. Yesterday the pain has subsided on the shoulder but it has somehow transferred to the top of my right foot. I have also been taking Arthrexin tablets for the past two years. I quit drinking since last XXXXXXX and I don't smoke.
At the very moment the pain is quite intense and moving around my home is quite an effort. I am 60 and my background is Pacific Islander...would that have anything to do with it. I eat well and am not into junk food or fizzy drink at all.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
more information required

Detailed Answer:
Dear,
Welcome to HCM
As I can understand from your complaint, they are very much consistent with the condition of arthritis(gout).
I would need to know
1) where exactly is the pain on the right foot?
2) Is it associated with redness, swelling?
3) history of fever, dark urine, body ache?

Mean while I would suggest you to continue the arthrexin and allopurinol tablets as prescribed by the consultant.
I suggest getting An x Ray done of the involved foot may yield useful information.
Serum Uric acid level testing is indicated.
Most probably it appers to be an gouty attack, considering the medicine that you have been prescribed.
However information regarding above would help me to get a clearer picture of the condition.
Kindly revert back soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Pankaj Borade

Psychiatrist