What causes pain in shoulder and neck?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have a pain that hurts my shoulder and neck slightly.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
This pain can be due to following reasons-
-Prolapse of disc in cervical spine.
-Cervical stenosis or narrowing of holes from where nerves exit.
-Cervical spondylsis.
-Stress.
-Deficiency of vitamin B12.
You should do following to have relief -
-At least have an x ray of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine.
-Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles.
-Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer.
-Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck.
-Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol.
-Test for levels of vitamin B12, If low do take Vitamin B12 supplements.
-Take help of a physiothearpist .He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal