question-icon

What causes pain in right shoulder and difficulty in lifting arm?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: I recently had a severe case of strep throat with an ear infection and took antibiotics. shortly afterward I developed joint pain in my right shoulder and hip/leg causing me to limp and was unable to lift my right arm. Dr is having me take ibuprophen three times a day and xrays showed nothing and blood tests showed nothing Could this be some kind of auto immune problem? I have been very active up to this and walked 2 miles a day. Now have trouble keeping my balance.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Age related arthritis. Dizziness sequelae of infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Strep throat with ear infection followed by right shoulder pain and lower extremity pain with inability to keep balance with normal workup is just age related osteoarthralgia flared by recent infection. Any ear infection is almost always followed by dizziness so that explains balance problems you recently had.
At age of 77 autoimmune profile with no prior history is unlikely so no worries for that. Just continue the NSAIDs, take some skelaxin and keep the limbs mobilized. All you need is symptomatic treatment which is adequate pain control as well as some anti dizziness meds like antivert. Use some support while walking to prevent tripping or injury due to fall.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan