What causes pain in right calf, ankle and twitching in muscle calf?
I went to the doctors for calf pain... she diagnosed it as a bad muscle strain... I asked her if it was a DVT and she said no and I was perfectly fine. My anxiety is starting to get the best of me... I forgot to ask her how long it would take to go away and now I'm starting to worry. I had the pain in my right calf and I still have it, but it's also in my left calf, too. It goes from my ankle up to my knee... and when I push my foot up... the pain shoots up to my thigh. I have a history of anxiety and it seems like it might be making things worse. This weekend I did sleep in a awkward position and crammed area with my family around... I had my knees/legs in awkward and tight position. I'm not sure if that can make it worse. I'm not sure what caused the muscle strain... I'm not active and more sedentary and don't play sports. I also have the pain in my foot when I push it up. I'm on birth control and I am overweight, but she didn't seem too concerned and did a very thorough examination. They also checked my blood pressure and that was normal. The pain seems to be worse when I think about it... compared to during the day when I'm doing things and don't have too much time to think about it. The pain is worse at night... when my anxiety seems to be at its best. I can feel the muscle twitch in my calf occasionally. I've never had this problem before... and I've been taking the birth control patch since September of 2015 with no problems. I think my anxiety might be making it worse. The pain is worse when my leg is stretched out. My left calf is a little bit bigger than my right, but I think its always been that way and I didn't really notice it until I started to become anxious and worry about a DVT. I feel like my doctor would have done something if she thought it was a DVT. The pain is also in the back of my knee and sometimes moves to the front of my leg. How could I get a muscle/calf strain without being active? How long does it take for calf/muscle strain to heal? What should I do? How do I handle this and the anxiety?
Thanks for the query.
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Many a times it becomes difficult to distinguish between a calf muscle strain and DVT,but if your doctor has examined you and ruled out DVT ,then there is nothing to worry.
Problem with calf strain is that healing depends upon the extent of injury to your muscles.
While a mild strain takes 7-10 days to heal,a moderate to severe strain may take 4-6 weeks to heal.
Treatment is usually aimed at rest,icing and use of anti inflammatories like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 7-10 days.
Once the pain becomes less,then you can go for rehab like calf stretches and physical therapy( managed by physiotherapists ).
You might have injured your calf unknowingly like suddenly getting up from sitting position
In my opinion just wait and watch and abide by the instructions given by your doctor.
With regular use of anti-inflammatory medicines,your pain would be in check and this would lessen your anxiety also.
You would be all right soon.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swollen calf and ankle causes
- What causes calf muscle spasms
- What causes pain calf muscle after running
- What causes bruises on the calf muscles
- What causes purpleredish discoloration above ankles and calf
- What causes twitching in calf and foot
- What causes persistent pain in calf muscle
- What causes calf pain and restricted movement in ankle
- Intense muscle twitching in calf causes
- What causes an indentation in calf muscle
- Sudden weight gain, lower back pain. Need help
- Pressure inside ear and pain. Have herniated disk. MRI and ultrasound...
- Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about...
- Infant has large belly button. Is there a hernia belt appropriate for...
- Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Done C-peptide test. Want to know...
- Dark circles below eyes. Have seven hours sleep. What measures can be...
- Taking immunosuppressants for Crohn's disease. Runny nose, congestion,...
- What can get rid of bad nose smell?
- Child has fever, dizziness, red cheeks, bug bite on cheek, no head or...
- Sneezing during variance in weather in Pune. Can you please help?