What causes pain in penis after eating fish?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Last night I had tuna fish (with mayo) for supper. This morning I started to get a lot of pain thru my penis.
I think gas is causing this. Is that possible? It seems the more water I drink the better I feel. Any ideas? I have this happen on rare occasions, maybe once a year.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to crystals in the urine from the uric acid formed from tuna

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Tuna is rich in purine which is converted into uric acid. The uric acid gets excreted as crystals and they produce burning sensation when you pass urine. As you drink more water the urine gets diluted and the burning becomes less.
If you take sodium or potassium citrate which makes the urine more alkaline, the uric acid gets converted into urates and dissolve in the urine and the burning decreases.
Take care,