What causes pain in palm?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I've had a pain in the middle of the palm of my right hand for four days. I don't feel any pain if I don't do anything, but if I grab stuff, it hurts. It sometimes feels like the muscle inside tenses up like a Charley horse in my hand. I can’t stand the pain. I can’t turn a can opener because it hurts the muscles. I haven't done any significant physical activity with my hand. I played basketball maybe five days ago and I didn't experience any pain before or after playing. There is no visible injury on my right hand.
I also felt this pain in my left hand for a couple days and then it went away. I sometimes had a pin pricking feeling in my left hand palm. On my left hand, I had red dot that looked like it was inside my hand. The red dot has since gone away.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tendon inflammation likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
There can be several reasons for pain in palm. If you did not have an injury while playing or otherwise, I suppose its something to do with your tendons or ligaments rather than bones. Most common reason is a mild sprain that you must have sustained somehow. The symptoms like inability to grip confirms that.

You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal