What causes pain in nipples?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: I an 62 years old and just strated to notice that when I push on both of my nipples that it is very pain full. It seems to be getting worse every week. I am abit overweight and can not notice any bumps around the nipples.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Be calm and relaxed!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you have reported and all the inconveniences that this has caused you. It is extremely rare to develop cancer on both breast at the same time. The fact that you have a similar complaint on both breasts at the same time makes cancer further less concerning as a possible causes.

Have you ever had the chance to do a screening mammogram? If YES, that's okay. Otherwise, I will suggest that you consider doing one, as a routine examination and not because these symptoms warrants a mammogram.

I believe this pain from pushing on both of your nipples is totally unrelated to cancer. I believe managing it with pain medications like Tylenol and Motrin would help. Also, avoid constantly picking and pressing on the nipples as this further aggravates the pains and retards healing.

In all, this is not suggestive of cancers. Do your screening mammograms as recommended. Avoid constantly manipulating the nipples and also try some pain medications. Finally, keep me updated!

I hope this helps I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.